High School Sweethearts. We met our Jr. year of high school. He was the new kid in town. We had study hall together. That's where our relationship began. Seeing him quickly became the highlight of my day. Thanks to him, there was not much studying going on! I loved his smile! Of course, I did not let him know that....at least not for a while! I loved being around him. He was such a flirt! He played basketball and lucky for me, I was a statistician for the boys basketball team which made it so much fun! I got to be around him a lot. I was his #1 cheerleader from the bench! I loved watching him play. He was #12. Funny how we remember things like that! The second game of our Sr. year he fell on his knee. The injury caused him to have to forfeit his position. He was so upset. He had to have knee surgery. I remember going to the hospital and hanging out with his mom during surgery. She took me to lunch and was so very kind towards me. I stood by his side through it all. I loved taking care of him! It was very painful for him and took him weeks to recover.
He offered to let me wear his class ring. I was the happiest girl on earth! We had our first kiss in our high school parking lot. His kiss and gentleness melted my heart. He was voted "Biggest Flirt" by our Sr. Class and I was voted "Most Friendly". What a match! We went to our Sr. prom together. I wore a pink and white prom dress and he wore a black tux with a pink boutonniere and white shirt. My sweet sister-in-law insisted that she fix us dinner that night. She practically had us married. She fixed us a special dinner by candle light; fried pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, fried okra, salad, and sweet tea....it was yummy! She took tons of pictures. We had a great night! We were so in love!!
We graduated together and celebrated at my house afterwards. My mom got us a cake and friends and family came to wish us well.
As most couples in love, we had our "songs" that we claimed were written just for us....and the LOVE notes....can't forget about them! He was really good at those!!! Along with all of that, he was always sending me flowers.....He definitely knew how to sweep me off of my feet!!
I remember one date we went on, we took my parent's car....don't remember why, I just remember what happened. We had went to Tulsa, which was about 30 minutes from where I live. We left in just enough time to have me home by my curfew, which was midnight. On the way home...we had a flat tire. This would have been no big deal but when Kevin went to get into the trunk so he could change the tire, he discovered that my dad had given him the valet key. We were stuck! We had to walk a ways to a convenience store to call my dad to give us the trunk key. Those were the days BEFORE cell phones. I will never forget it. I think Kevin was as scared as I was to have to call and wake up my dad to get out at almost midnight. Of course, we laugh now!
There was also the time when he dropped a knife in my leg...Ouch!!! It was Christmas eve and we had just bought a last minute gift for someone. I needed to cut the tags off so he gave me a knife he had in his glove box. After I had cut the tags off, I handed the knife back to him. He thought I still had it, I thought he had it and it dropped straight into my leg. So there I was sitting next to him with a knife sticking out of my leg. We both panicked and after a moment he pulled it out....crazy!! He felt so bad. He took me to the hospital and got it taken care of. I still have a reminder of that day on my leg!
So, were we one of those couples who, once we started dating that was it? No, we broke up a few times during High School. We watched each other date other people....and then we ended up back together. I do not remember much about those days, the break-ups didn't last too long. I think it just helped us to realize how much we loved each other.
Before I went many miles away to college he offered me a promise ring to which I gladly accepted. The ring was so pretty! It was a heart-shaped diamond picked out just for me. I still remember the day. We had went to the hospital to see his sweet little niece who had just been born. We were in the hospital's parking lot when he gave it to me. (ok...so he has a thing about significant happenings in parking lots.... not the most romantic place, but that did not matter to either of us.) I was elated!!
Leaving for college was so hard. We were both so sad. I remember calling home at Thanksgiving only to find out that he was enjoying the holiday with MY family. I cried when I hung up the phone. I so badly wanted to be there. My parents really liked him. Well, at least my mom did, my dad never really said much. We wrote letters and talked often which helped. I missed him so much. My heart hurt a lot those days. It was so hard being away. After a while....I began to rethink things about him...about us. All that thinking ended up leaving me without that ring on my finger. I broke off my relationship with him. When I came home at Christmas I had determined in my heart that I would not see him (it had been 4 1/2 months). I had missed him so much and knew that if I saw him, I would want to get back with him. My room mates at college told me that they did not expect to see me there when they got back from Christmas break. They thought that I would go home and see him and not want to return. I, of course, told them they were wrong. I did not have any intentions of seeing him. I really meant it at the time. I was going to be strong and hope that he did not try to see me. Well, my friends at college ended up being right. After I was home for only a few days, he called and asked if he could come over. Honestly, I was thrilled!! My heart had never recovered from letting him go. I will never forget that day. I had butterflies....so excited and scared, at the same time. Once we saw each other we were inseparable from that day forward. Because of the religion I was raised in, I had a hard time. I was torn. I had been raised all my life with the belief that whoever I married had to be a member of the church that I grew up in (this was part of the reason I broke up with him while I was away at college). I tried to convert him, to no avail. He was a believer, just not interested in becoming a "member" of this religion. His dad even got involved trying to convince me that my beliefs were not biblical. My mom saw my torn heart and came to me one day and told me that if he was the one I loved with all my heart then I would have my parent's blessing and that our love was what was most important. She knew I was in love and would be miserable with out him. I was so relieved!!! Shortly after, the wedding plans were on. We married that summer. Five kids later and here we are. His smile and kiss can still melt my heart. God has brought us through things we could have NEVER imagined at 19 years old. I am very thankful. Now, 25 years later, we talk about our future grand kids (don't have any YET) and about how we want to grow old together. By God's amazing grace, we will be hand in hand, still in love, when one of us goes on ahead to meet our Jesus. Not with regrets or shame but with love and thankfulness for this journey we have shared together. My hope and prayer is that we leave behind a legacy of God's love, faithfulness and forgiveness that not only was bestowed upon us by our Savior but that we freely gave to each other.
Just for fun, I have added some of the "love notes" below that I received from him during those early days. They are so sweet and so funny!
Note
Babe,
Well, I decided to write you on the way to school from Kevin's house. Since today is Friday the 13th, if I die I just wanted you to know I loved you and would like to have married you. Well, if this is that messy, it is because I am in a hurry and I am writing while Steve drives.
Written in a Card
I love you with all my heart. I hope you never leave me so we can get married!
This was a card he gave me during our break up... the comments he added are in parenthesis
To my Sweetheart, I love you when I'm happy (or was with you!) I love you when I'm sad (times I see you flirting with other guys) And gee, I even love you when I'm feelin' kinda mad (because I lost you and feel like you will forget about me when you find a very lucky guy!) I love you when you're near me or when you're far away (like college or other places) And I am glad I got you (or used to) cause I love(d) you more each day! (I was with you!)
Love ya and always will. Happy Valentine's Day (could have been)
This was written on the back of the card:
I will never forget all the good or great times I had when I was with you. But I hope you don't find no one up at college that likes you which is very very doubtful because I would really like things to work out between us because you are the most beautifulest girl I have ever dated or probably ever will. When you are feeling down or think of me please call me because I will always want to talk to you. I am feeling hurt right now because I can't quit thinking of you and the time we spent together. I hopefully will have more to think about. I got this card before we broke up but in my big blue eyes you are still the one for me and always will be because you are a fox. Love ya!
Notes that came with flowers
To my baby doll, with love
To a very beautiful girl who I hope never leaves me.
True Love Always!
To the one and only that I love and hope always will be able to.
Written in my Yearbook
Well, darlin, its been a good one. I will always remember the time we spent together and the dreams I had, which hopefully will come true one of these days. We spent a lot of time together at the hospital, but that was what made me recover faster I think. And don't forget Christmas Eve we spent together at your Aunt's house. I love you more than I can ever remember loving a beautiful girl like you that shows love back, most of the time. I honestly believe if we really love each other enough, we can make it when you go off to college. I know what I want but do you know what you really want. I want to marry you one of these days when the time feels right. Hopefully you will accept. When you go off to college you better not forget me, or forget how much I love you. I will always cherish the time and memories we spent together. You helped me get over the miseries of me not being able to face the fact that I wasn't going to be able to play basketball my senior year. You were the real happiness in my life besides basketball and Steve. Don't forget about the times you are going to learn how to ski with me and go in a canoe down the river. Don't forget Rick and Lisa want there kid to be able to call you Aunt and so do Steve and Sherrie when they have their kids. Well, all this really means is the time I spent with you were the best times I spent in my life so far with you and there better be a whole lot more. So, whatever you do, don't leave me when you go off to college because I will be the only person who can treat you the best anyone can. That sounded out of place, but you know what I mean. Love ya always!
P.S. So I hope you don't start to love someone else at college. You better call me and write me. Call collect.
This was so sweet to read, you should share it on the mtd forum! get a post going for all of us to share warm memories!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Michelle....this one was a fun one to write!! You actually got me thinking about it with your "Memory Lane" post....Loved that!
ReplyDelete