Sunday, January 23, 2011

Today is the Day

Seven years ago today my mom took her last breath.  It seems just like yesterday that she was still here, sharing life with me.  I miss her like crazy.  It has left a pain in my heart like no other.  The milestones are the hardest.  Experiencing things with my kids and not being able to share them with her are moments when it feels death has won and life seems so unfair.  Attending my daughter's sporting events, my son's concerts, my older kids graduating high school and then college,  my girl's weddings, their first homes, and the thrill of our first, ever so sweet and beautiful, grand-baby. Each special event brings thoughts of her to the forefront. Sadness creeps in at the reality of what she is missing, but then again, just maybe it is for what WE are missing without HER to share our journey with.  It is then that I smile through the tears because I KNOW that those moments would bring so much JOY to her heart and she would be smiling, too! If it is ONE thing about her that was evident to all is how much she loved her grand-kids! As I go thru the different seasons of life I think of her so very often wishing she was here to talk to, to love, to make more memories with.  I long to hear her voice,  to feel her touch, to see her smile. It's funny how it's the "little" things we miss.
We are always told that life is short but do we really live like we believe that?  I don't think we really understand how short it is until we lose someone we love so dearly.  Then it's too late.
What if we really lived each day like it was our last?  What if we loved those that God has placed in our lives in such a way that if  they left this world tomorrow, we would have no regrets?  Would we be so concerned about the "little" things? About ourselves?  About who was right and who was wrong? Would we waste today living in the past?  Would we finally enjoy today and quit thinking...my life will be better when____________?  Would our focus change?  Would we make that call that we have been meaning to make? Would we talk about Jesus more??  Would we put aside our pride and no longer put off telling are unsaved loved ones about our Saviour?  Would we say "I love you" more?  Would we worry so much about the house being cleaned or the next load of laundry or would we choose to spend more time loving, laughing, and making memories with our kids?   What is it you would do OR not do??
 Sometimes we need a change in perspective to cause a change in our attitude.  What matters MOST to you?  Can I encourage you to to think about it.  Not just today, but everyday.
Thank you, Lord for using this day to remind me of how precious time is. Everyday is truly a gift from You.

4 "LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. 5 My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath." Psalm 39:4-5





No comments:

Post a Comment